Cllr Linda Van den Hende is New Mayor of Havering
Upminster Councillor, Linda Van den Hende, was last night unanimously elected as the new Mayor of Havering for 2017/18.
Cllr Van den Hende was first elected to the Council in 2006 and has served on numerous committees, including Crime & Disorder, Governance and Licensing as well as being the borough champion for the Over 50’s.
In nominating Linda for the position, Cllr Ron Ower set out her numerous charitable and supportive roles undertaken outside of the Town Hall, for example:
- A trustee of Havering Association for People with Disabilities (HAD) and a dedicated befriender
- Spent 10 years as Chair of Governors at Dycourts School
- Trustee of First Step since 2008
- Trekked the Great Wall of China and completed the Inca Trail in Peru to raise money for the National Deaf Children’s Society
- Trekked to the top of the highest peak n the Atlas Mountains in Morocco for First Step
- Trekked in Nepal with the YMCA, visiting projects to help women set up businesses
- Trekked the last 111 kms of the Camino in Northern Spain to Santiago de Compostella for First Step
- Abseiled down the YMCA building in Romford (six times!) for First Step
- Ran the London Marathon for First Step
- Visited a school for disabled in India and went to Africa with Coopers School for four weeks to help build a school in a village outside Livingstone, Zambia
- A long serving Rotarian
- A police panel member for many years
Linda’s career has spanned most of the public sector, including local authorities, Health Service and the Metropolitan Police – the latter of which she was a Director from 1984 to retirement in 2010.
The Mayoral charities for the year will be First Step and a further two to be notified at a future date.
Linda’s consort for the year will be her husband, Lawrence Chalk.
Congratulations Linda and best wishes for an enjoyable, memorable and remarkable year!