Is Your Council Tax Band Right?

Every property in Havering has a Council Tax Band which determines how much Council Tax you pay. The bands range from A to H, with the average Band being D. To see the Council Tax Bands for Havering click HERE.

But is your Council Tax Band correct? Here are some simple steps to check if you may have a case and potentially be due a refund:

  1. What Band are your neighbours in? Just visit the Valuation Office website at , type in your postcode and the bandings of all properties in that vicinity will appear.
  2. If you think that your property is out of kilter with your neighbours, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Office and request a reassessment at or call 03000 501 501.

It is worth bearing in mind that when a property is improved/extended, it may be reassessed for rating purposes. Also, an appeal can mean the banding valuation can go up as well as down.

Watch out for cold callers who offer to provide this service for a fee – it’s easy to do by yourself and it is also free!

There are also fraudsters who may call you declaring you are due a refund and request your bank details – don’t believe them, they are simply looking to defraud you.

Cllr Clarence Barrett



  1. I live in a semi detached house and I am band E..My next door neighbour lives in an end of terrace and is band D..Same size house but they have a bigger garden … Totally unfair.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.